Like many, we at Pellegrino Wines and Co love a cosy evening in with a hearty meal. Why not try the recipe below; this full flavoured and nourishing ox cheek pie is paired with our Lacryma Christi Red for the perfect night in. The rich yet delicate flavour of ox cheeks beautifully complement the spiciness and medium tannins in our Southern Italian Red Wine.
- 1 large beef cheek (about 700g, cut into 2inch pieces)
- 1 punnet of chestnut mushrooms
- 50g of dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1litre of rich beef stock
- 50ml of balsamic vinegar
- 50g of butter
- Tablespoon of flour
For the shortcrust pastry – you can either use ready roll or a simple mix of flour, butter & water and 1 egg yolk.
- Brown of the beef cheek off in a heavy bottomed pan. Remove the cheeks from pan and add a drizzle of oil, and add the sliced onion.
- Cook the onions and garlic until translucent before adding in the sliced mushrooms and thyme.
- Pour boiling water over the dried porcini and leave for 10 mins. Pour the stock and mushrooms into the pot with the vegetables and add back in the beef cheek.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, beef stock, a pinch of sugar and check for seasoning. Ensuring there is enough liquid to cover the meat and vegetables, cook for a good 2-3 hours or until the meat starts to soften. Finally, add a little flour to thicken the sauce, and leave to cool (overnight if possible!).
- Prepare the shortcrust pastry but cutting into strips. Layer on baking parchment in a lattice shape and place in the fridge until you are ready to cook.
- Preheat the oven at 170. Brush the outside of the pie tin with egg yolk and place over the lattice. Brush the rest of the egg yolk over the lattice. Bake until golden.